Talbot-Lago T150C SS (1937)

French car maker Talbot-Lago produced some of the finest sports cars in the late 1930s. The most notable of which was the T150C SS, whose name denotes Competition and Super Sport. Its light aluminum bodywork by coachbuilder Figoni & Falaschi reflected the peak of the Art Deco design era. A teardrop shape and graceful curves resembled an aircraft, while grilles, lights and bumper beams were designed to appear both elegant and aerodynamic. In terms of aesthetic, it was even more desirable than Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic and Delahaye 135. If we had to name the most beautiful pre-war design, this one could be the favourite.

Underneath the sheet aluminum clothes was a ladder frame suspended by double-wishbones up front and live axle at the rear. It employed a 4-liter ohv straight-six with hemispherical combustion chambers to produce a respectable 140 horsepower – although no match with Bugatti's supercharged straight-eight – and allowed 115 mph flat out on highway. The 4-speed gearbox had an unusual mechanism to allow the driver to pre-select the next gear before pushing the clutch. Just like most Talbot-Lago sports cars, it was available in racing form to satisfy the demand of gentleman racers. However, compared with its beauty, neither its performance nor its racing history was so outstanding. As only 17 cars were built, each costs at least multi-million dollars today.


Talbot-Lago T150C SS
Year of production
No. produced
17 units
Layout, Gearbox
Front-engined, Rwd, 4M
Inline-6, ohv, 2v/cyl.
3996 cc
140 hp
1200 kg
Top speed
115 mph
0-60 mph

Copyright© 1997-2013 by Mark Wan @ AutoZine